Thursday, August 4, 2011

Cleo’s Update

Well yesterday was the big day for Cleo to have a second opinion for her back issues.  I have to tell you that I have had myself way too worked about this and what her outcome was going to be.  Of course, I was thinking way too much about the worst case scenario and actually made myself sick before heading up there.  I want to warn you this is going to be a long post with even some pictures that I tried to snap while Cleo was adjusted.
Our appointment was for 2:00pm so we left Bloomington around 1:20 since it is about a 20 minute drive to Chenoa from our house.
Cleo about to begin her journey.  Hey Mom turn the air on
Oh, ya Mom that is correct point those air vents right at me

Oh, thanks Mom so much better
We arrived around 1:55pm for our appointment


Cleo very excited to meet her new Vet

The assistant came in first and weighed Cleo who is now at 57.4 pounds, gave her a good look over and checked her teeth.  She said that Cleo has lots of tarter on her teeth and wanted to know if we gave her bones.  I told her NO because previous experience with our other dogs resulted in a total dog fight.  She strongly encouraged me to stop by our local Meat Market and purchase some knuckle bones and give to the dogs for about 15 minutes a day.  She said that this will be best natural way to remove the tarter.  She said hopefully by our next appointment the tarter will mostly gone, except for a few spots that may need scraped.  Of course, the local Meat Market was out of knuckle bones till this Friday.  So they will be getting some knuckle bones as a special treat this weekend.

Dr. A also explained the importance of keeping the nails very short on your fur-kid.  She informed me that they are taught to walk on their pads and if their nails get overgrown their feet (toes) will spread out as they compensate to try to find their pads on their feet.  Cleo has always had a problem with her nails since she came from the shelter.  She trimmed Cleo's nails very short, even taking some of them to the wick (a few bleed).  She said sometimes you really have to go supper short to get control of them again.  They laid Cleo on her side for this and I have never seen Cleo lay so still, like she was in a trance or something.  She never even whimpered or moved when she got a few really short.  Overall Cleo is very health, needs to lose a few more pounds (5-6 more).

Cleo smiling after her nails were trimmed

Dr. A reviewed all the x-rays and records and we talked in detail for some time on how/when I thought all this started. She had Cleo walk up and down the hallway, watching her walk, trot, etc.  She laid Cleo’s back legs behind her, her response was improved on her rear legs.  The most trouble was still with her left shoulder and leg, when this leg is placed behind her Cleo will not make any attempt to pick it up and lay it down flat to balance herself.  She just lets it lay there without trying to pick it up and place it down.  Once we worked through these details, Dr. A told me that she didn’t think acupuncture was necessary for Cleo at this point, but she definitely would benefit from a chiropractor adjustment.  She does not have a herniated disk, thank you GOD.  So off to the adjustment room we went.

Once we were in the adjustment room (just a room with carpet).  Dr. A began to feel around Cleo's back, neck and shoulder area.  Dr. A looked at me and Cleo and said that she hated to be blunt with me but she said that according to her poor Miss Cleo just doesn't have her head screwed on straight.  So here is a list of all the mis-alignments Miss Cleo was found to have.
  • Her butt tail-bone was titled upward (causing her butt muscles to not work properly, this may also fix her anal gland problem that she has as well)
  • Pelvis was twisted sideways
  • 4/5/6/7th Vertebra out of alignment (Wobbler's Syndrome)
  • Left Shoulder out of alignment (jammed)
  • Head was sitting about 1/4 of an inch of her neck (spine).  This is actually what Dr. A meant when she said that her head was not screwed on straight.
Dr. A and her assistant worked on Cleo adjusting her, the only one that I actually heard pop into place was her shoulder and it was loud.  Not sure how many of you have ever had any adjustments by a chiropractor, but you could see some of the same process take place with a fur-kid as with a human.  Here are a some pictures that I snapped as Cleo was being adjusted.
Cleo getting her butt adjusted.  Dr. A is in the light blue shirt and her assistant is in purple
 In this picture her assistant had a pressure point on Cleo's neck, had her arm out and Dr. A would apply pressure to Cleo's butt and at the same time pull down on her assistance's arm.  Not sure how it all worked, but it worked.
 Cleo getting her upper body adjusted
 
 Here she is about ready to adjust Cleo's shoulder and neck
 
 Cleo after her adjustment was complete
Dr. A also is a huge believer in Chinese Herbs/Meds, and this is something I just wasn’t sure I wanted to try at all.  After listening to her explain the importance of them and how they worked, I agreed to try to Chinese Oils/Herbs (Valor and Copaiba). 
Valor is an empowering combination of therapeutic-grade essential oils that works with both the physical and spiritual aspects of the body to increase feelings of strength, courage, and self-esteem in the face of adversity.  Renowned for its strengthening qualities, Valor enhances an individuals internal resources.  It has also been found to help energy alignment in the body.
Dr. A basically told me that she feels that Valor is Chiropractor Care in a bottle.
Copaiba is a powerful essential oil from South America that has traditionally been used to aid digestion and support the body's natural response to injury or irritation.  Capaiba contains the highest amounts of beta caryophyllene (55 percent) of any known essential oil.
Three times a day I take a few drops of the Valor and place on Cleo's tail bone (butt), behind her ears and her shoulder.  I massage these in for a few minutes, then just go about your every day activities.  We have not started the Copaiba has Dr. A was currently out of it and we should receive it in the mail next week.  We will add this oil to the same spots that we placed the Valor on. This will enhance the process of the Valor.  Cleo will also get Copaiba by mouth twice a day working up to 5 times a day. 
We also will be giving her Clycoflex III Canine for her joints and Duralactin Canine to help with some of her tummy issues. 
She also told me that giving these items to Winston and Amiee will not cause any problems, but enhance their health as well.  What I have found pretty amazing about this Valor oil is that, since I have been applying to Cleo I have noticed improvements with my own hand.  I have arthritis in it and the swelling has gone down and it feels 75% better.
Here is Cleo leaving after her adjustment last night

Cleo last night after she came home and had supper.  She was actually rolling around and being silly.  Something she hasn't done for a month.



We want to thank everyone for their well wishes, the power of the paw and good drooling vibes.  I strongly believe they helped us get through this last month of unknowns.  But the unknowns have been answered and Cleo is well on her way to a new lease on life. 

I have learned through this experience that I am going to leave reading the X-rays to the professionals, stop reading the Internet for information and always trust your heart and your blogging buddies to go get a second opinion.

This morning Cleo was the first one up out of bed, tail waggin and trotting out to the kitchen for breakfast.  When I went home at lunch today, Cleo greeted me at the door with a happy bark and prance around the living room.  PRAISE GOD MY GIRL IS BACK.

Sniffs,
Cleo and HoundDogMom

15 comments:

  1. So glad to hear that Cleo is doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to hear that she's feeling better! I've wondered about trying a canine chiropractor for one of our girls, but I didn't think we had any that nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that is great news. Chiropractive care works beautiful for me so it should for her too. It is nice to hear her happy again.

    wags
    Jazzi and Addy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurray for Cleo! My grandmother swears by her Chiropractor for help with her bad back. I hope Cleo continues to feel better!

    Your pal, PIp

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Day!!! Sooooo wonderful to hear you got your girl "back". :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What terrific news. Welcome back Cleo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY, Cleo!!!!!!!!!! We're so happy to hear you're feeling better!!!!!!!!

    We love y'all and will continue to purray for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing! I am so glad to see you are feeling better! Hope you stay on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi...So nice to meet you. And thank you for your kind words about our Tucker's passing on to the Bridge earlier this week. We miss him terribly.

    That's amazing how Cleo was "adjusted" and screwed back together. BOL She has a great doctor and a great family. We've had Dachshunds in the past with spinal problems that always ended up with surgery. I'm hoping that "DaWeenies", Amber and Max, won't be faced with this. Max had a back surgery a few years ago but hasn't had any additional problems.

    ReplyDelete
  10. SO WONDERFUL to hear that Cleo is so much better after her adjustment! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Miss Cleo! What a fantastic doctor you found. All popping and snapping and rubbing and making you feel like a little puppy again! I am super happy to see you acting silly.

    You know, Pea and I also have "issues" with bones but momma says they are good for our teeth so we get our bones once per week in separate rooms and nom for an hour or two. Then momma takes them away so we never see each other's nommies or get into a fight.

    I, too, have difficulty keeping my nails trimmed and have to go to the vet about every six weeks for a pedicure. It isn't so bad.

    Slobbers,
    Mango

    ReplyDelete
  12. I SOOOOOOOOO hope things will khontinue to improve!!!

    Thanks fur sharing!

    Paws khrossed from here!

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sherri,

    Im so sorry I missed this post, I was out having my monthly treatment. Oh this is just wonderful and brought tears to my eyes. Im so happy that Miss Cleo is doing well! This is fantastic news!!! Hugs to all the hounddogs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful!!! So glad to hear that Cleo is feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. A few years ago when I still had my Mary Lou we woke up one morning to her dragging her foot. She was completely knuckling under, and it scared me to death. Being a staunch advocate of chiropractic care and massage therapy for myself, and knowing that there are vets who also practice this care for the four legged creatures, I started searching for a vet in my neck of the woods. It took us a couple of months, but Lou bounced back completely. I even took my arthritic girl in for a few treatments and they helped her tremendously. This particular vet also used cold laser treatments, which provided extra help for both my girls. Glad Cleo is improving even though there are little backward steps here and there. We'll keep you in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...